Thursday 24 August 2017

Welcome to Hahvard!

I love the start of Fresher's Week. Sad as it may sound, I'm excited to see all these (young, boy, are they young) faces arrive at the hallowed gates of Harvard, and begin to settle in. Parents and students alike, are in a mad dash to get into their dorms, buy a fridge, a mat, and get their bearings amid the sprawling mass of buildings.

As a Cambridge resident for the last eight years, I've been privy to this crazy rush every August. But, this year was a little more special.

Malia Obama is on campus. She moved into the halls of residence at the same time the eclipse was taking place. (Good move on part of the Obama's. Whilst folks were busy looking to the heaven's, they moved their little girl in with little fuss).

However, I do wonder, actually, I hope, she manages to enjoy college life. I would imagine there is a greater burden, on her shoulders, than most students, to do well. Although, I'm sure the Obama's would protest loudly, will professors, ever so slightly, give her special treatment? Will she make real friends? I think it's important that her experiences, here at Harvard, are without falsehood.

It's a nerve-wracking time for all, (which starts with being given just twenty minutes to off-load all of your stuff to your dorm building!) But, I'm sure Malia has been well schooled (pardon the pun) in how to handle all of this.

I certainly hope she can pop down to Staples, grab a slice of pizza from Pinocchio's, pick up a bottle of water from CVS, and even get a Curious George t-shirt, without fear of being stopped, photographed or just stared at. Now that she's arrived, I wonder if all the business'/places she visits will replace the "Mark Zuckerberg was here", with Malia's name? Hmm...

Regardless, to the class of 2021, welcome - but please don't hog all the tables at Starbucks with your books!

No comments:

Post a Comment